>> why I work AM.  ten was open a bit yesterday and I worked a few
>> stations.(SSB)  the conversations were short ( not on my end) and sounded
>> like CB jargon.

Not just on 10m.  I notice the same thing on 75, 40 and 160.  And not just
SSB, I also  hear it on AM.

Little short 3-4 word transmissions.  Sometimes it goes by so fast I can't
even get the call sign.  Something I really have a problem with is people
just dropping the carrier in mid sentence without saying "over" or "go
ahead".  I'm not always sure they turned it over to me, if their rig just
crapped out, or if propagation conditions have taken a sudden change.

I few times I have had to ask the other station to please repeat your call a
couple of times; you are running it by too fast. Also, I usually make it a
point by saying, "I wasn't sure you turned it back to me.  You didn't say
"over" or anything to give me a clue that your transmission had ended."

This happens a lot when I call CQ and indicate that I am listening in AM
mode.  Often the station coming back tells me this is the first time he has
tried the rig on AM, and I assume he is not familiar with normal AM
operating procedure.

I usually try to have patience and explain  the procedure to newcomers. I
have quite often had stations to say they were impressed with the sound of
AM and would try it out some more.  A couple that I have known of have
eventually taken the plunge, acquired a plate modulated tube type rig, and
AM has become their primary mode of operation.

But some operators who drop the carrier without warning have been operating
AM for quite a while and still do that.  I find it annoying, particularly
with stations that are weak and in the noise level, and I don't have a clue
when they stand by.  Maybe they used roger beeps when they were on CB.

Don k4kyv
.

http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
http://gigliwood.com/abcd/