From: amradio-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:amradio-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of D. Chester
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 10:36 AM
To: amradio@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Antennas

> There have been some interesting cases with short loaded antennas
> in the BC band, the bandwidth has occasionally been so narrow that the AM
> sidebands become attenuated!  Not going to see that effect in the amateur
> bands unless someone is running an antenna only a few feet long!!
> Bernie W8RPW

I  almost have that situation on 160m when I use my 80m dipole, fed with
open wire line and balanced tuner.  I can move maybe +/- 5 kHz before I have

to retune.  Using that antenna set-up is like being crystal controlled,
since I have to go down to the tower to re-set the tuner.

Hopefully, by upcoming season I'll have my remote tuning system, with
reversible DC motor, so I'll at least be able to QSY within the same band
without a trip to t he tower.  I hope to eventually make it so I can change
bands remotely as well.

Don k4kyv

http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
http://gigliwood.com/abcd/