On Sat, 16 May 2009 00:07:21 -0400 (EDT), "Bob Bruninga "

> In this case the best application was not sending POSITION, but would be
> sending FREQUENCY.  This way, you dont need to know where they were (or
> find them on the map), but just look at their data and CALL them by
> voice.

Bob,

I know I picked on the first posting about the location tracking
earlier, so I feel compelled to give my first impression of this -- and
my first thought was: "THAT'S COOL!"

Finding what FREQUENCY someone is on is something that's amazingly
empowering to Amateurs attempting to make contacts of any sort.

So far, the hobby has been stunted in this regard -- we have what?  The
hunt and pounce/spin the dial... we have dedicated frequency
infrastructure either via the technology or via "agreements" (like 'this
HF Net meets here'), and we have DX Cluster/Spotting type networks, and
that's about it... and even on those, it's somewhat "improper" for
cultural reasons to "self-spot"...

So a mechanism to tell others, "Hey I'm at a radio and I'm listening to
X frequency"... is WAY cool.

Sorry to tie up AMSAT-BB one more time with a reply -- but maybe to TRY
to keep it on-topic I'd say, "Imagine if people could say in real
time... XXX, YYY, and ZZZ are all listening to this bird because they've
sent a notification that they are, and if they're able to hear me,
they'll respond!"

It won't replace the wonder and amazement of a "raw" CQ call that gets
answered by a new Amateur voice halfway around the world, and the
contesting world would be in an uproar about that "self-spotting" if
anyone used it to help others find them during an operating "skills"
event... but for day-to-day "get 'er done" types of contacts, it's
really got some interesting potential.   "I'm in the car, and I'm
listening to X" info, when you've been trying to catch up with an old
friend on the air, etc... would be invaluable.

Nate WY0X
--
  Nate Duehr
  n...@natetech.com