Let’s split your question into two parts
Car and House:

I have made literally hundreds of FM voice contacts with Mir and ISS from my
car.  I have also made  hundreds of packet mail contacts with Mir.
On Mir the  default power setting was 5 watts, into a Larsen Dual band Mobile
antenna, mounted outside on the hull of Mir.  The transceiver was either a
Kenwood TM-733 or TM-V7A.

My car station was typically a 5/8 wave mono band 2-meter vertical, with a 45
watt class FM rig.  I usually did not have the amps in the car since mobile
amps are typically high maintenance.

ISS is running a similar setup.  The transceiver is a Kenwood TM-D700, modified
for three power settings, 5,10,25 (special mods).  The ISS D700 has been
programmed to default to 10 watts for voice and packet, unless changed by the
crew, however every time the crew pushes a PM/function button, it forces the
radio back to 10 watts.
The antenna is a Quad band system with 2, 440, patch for 1.2-2.4 Ghz.  Gain is
unknown, and must be assumed to be –3dBd for 2 meters.

So for beginners,  LEO satellites, Running simple verticals and a 45+ watt
class system and 0 dBd gain antennas is a good way to start from your car
(parked or driving).
You will need to Pick your orbits in advance.  I would usually only attempt
orbits that were 45 degrees elevation or better from my Car.

For the more advances mobile users, try this Mobile EME array.
http://www.garysicecream.com/may909.htm

Other Car Tips:

Convert from RG-58 to LMR-240-UF or RG-213.  The coax that usually comes with
stock mobile antennas is too poor of quality to be used seriously.

Run Mono-band antennas for 2 and 440, get the highest Gain mono band (whip)
antennas that will fit your mobile and garage.  You may need a signal splitter
since most rigs only have one SO-239 for 2/440.

Amps for your Car:
Get best antennas and coax first before using amps.  In some States, we are
limited to 50 watts on 440.

House Satellite Antennas:

It’s ok to start with a few simpler verticals  or small beams to see if  you
like the satellite hobby.
If you do like Satellites and want to continue then you have two choices.

#1 Gradually build your antenna gain over several years,
1 Element 0 dBd
2 Elements 3dBd
4 Elements 6dBd
8 Elements 9 dBd
etc.
or
#2 you can jump in and buy a one of the 20+ element CP (circular polarized)
12-dBd class beams.
In many cases it maybe cheaper to go from 0 dBd to 12 dBd than buying lots of
little antennas in-between.  A CP style antenna system can be used for both
Satellite and terrestrial DX.

Other Tips:
Go with the most elements you can afford for a single boom.
20+ elements on 2-meters
40+ elements on 440

Coax:
You can now get Flexible thick coax that will support an antenna Rotor.
Most people used RG-8 style coax, which is approximately 10 mm in diameter.
However you can now get flexible rotor grade coax which is approximately 15 mm
in diameter, and has much lower loss than the best RG-8 style coax.

Example:
Belden RG-213
145 MHz 2.5 dB loss per 100 feet
438 MHz 4.5 dB loss per 100 feet

LMR 600 UltraFlex Rotor cable
145 MHz 1.1 dB loss per 100 feet
438 MHz 2.0 dB loss per 100 feet

As you can see, by switching from 10mm coax to 15mm coax you can reduce you
loss by over 50%. The 15mm cables cost 2-3 times as much, however you will not
have to worry about coax losses any more on Frequencies below 2 gig.

73 wf1f