Hey everyone,

I just heard myself on the AO-7 downlink running 500 mW rf out from one of my
FT-817s. Just to be sure I also tuned - and sent a quick CQ and ID - to three
different spots in the passband (started just above 145.950, the moved up near
145.957, and then back down to just above 145.947).

I hadn't planned on working the pass. I had a bit of minor surgery late this
afternoon, and not feeling 100% just now. But when I saw the elevation of this
pass (almost 84 degrees here), I decided to see whether I could make the trip
with a half-watt and the crappy ol' Elk ... hihi. A few weeks ago, I worked
K4YYL one morning on a similar-elevation pass running 1 watt out. Just for the
heck of it, I decided to take that final low-power step (i.e., 500 mW is as low
as any of my all-mode radios will go).

By the time I got everything fired up, engaged Doppler tuning in SatPC 32 and
loosened up my shoulder/elbow/wrist az/el system, AO-7 was past maximum
elevation and on her way down to my northwest. According to the computer, I
heard myself when the satellite was between 55 and 60 degrees. It was a weak
signal, to be sure - but it was copyable on the Elk inside my house. I suspect
those guys with real antennas and preamps could have copied me ok. The next
time I get a pass like this one, I'm going to think ahead and post something to
the BB because I sure would like to get at least one "flea power" contact on
the Grand Old Girl. She was busy just now - or, at least, it seemed that way to
me. Sure was nice to hear.

73 to all,

Tim - N3TL