While this may be heresy to some, I've used my terrestrial "weak signal" 2M and
70cm antennas many times for satellite QSO's. The 2M antennas is an M2 2M9, and
the 70cm antenna is an M2 420-50-11. Each has an SSB USA preamp powered up the
coax from my FT-847. They both work very well for weak signal use, and are
mounted using a 4' mast extending out of the rotator mounted at the top of a 5'
tripod (2M above the 70cm) on the roof of a large 2 story commercial building.
I'm sure it helps that I have a 360* clear view for many wavelengths at
2M/70cm. The beamwidth of both antennas is roughly 35*, and I have NO problem
picking up the satellites at 0*, and keeping good copy to 30* elevation, which
is enough to keep me amused on the satellites when I want to operate. I guess
the "moral" to my story is to not fret over having less than optimal antennas,
and to get on the birds, or to at least try to listen for them. Just make sure
whatever you're using can HEAR
 them before you try and transmit, and always use a preamp and good coax.
73, Jim  KQ6EA