I also forgot to mention that a PreAmp makes all of the difference. I worked
a few passes with N5AFV this past weekend for Museum Ship weekend, and he
let me borrow his preamp. On AO-27, it went from an S-1 to an S6, and with
SO-50 it went from an S-0 (still audible though) to an S-4. I'll also
embarrassingly admit that I had my arrow pointed in the wrong direction (for
part of the pass), and AO-27 was still audible with an S3, but only with the
preamp.

I believe we used an AAR SP450VDA.

--
Andrew Koenig