As many of you know I operated as ZF2AE from EK99 back in late March and early
April during my vacation from Grand Cayman and Little Cayman. I received
numerous direct requests to have a sked as EK99 was needed for their VUCC
awards. I made a big effort to meet all these requests received prior or during
that trip and in most instances I was successful. As a portable, I worked AO-51
and SO-50 with just an Arrow Antenna with an ARR preamp and 5W with my VX7R. I
also worked other stations on AO-7, FO-29 and VU52 using the same setup but
with my FT857D with 10 Watts instead. Let me tell you setting up as a portable
station to work the linear  birds is time consuming and required a big effort
everytime. I was on vacation and Hamradio was a secondary activity.

After my return, I went  through my recordings it was clear that there were
many missed opportunities to work certain stations for their requested skeds .
Why was this? In most cases, it came down to stations both domestic and
international that are NOT LISTENING or not leaving enough space between calls.
Also it was clear these same stations were calling the same stations day in and
day out. What is the sport in this, working the same stations and the same
grids over and over again; especially when a DXpedition is ongoing and others
need to work that grid. I had numerous passes where I could not get once into
an FM satellite during a planned sked. In some cases, I only managed one or two
contacts. It was frustrating to say the least. Out of the 45+ passes I
completed during my trip there was only one satellite pass that was
disciplined, operators listened, called in order and over 15 contacts were
worked in sequence with zero interference and many happy
 operators.

I encourage operators with deluxe satellite stations running power with full
computer and rotation tracking to let more modest stations have their fair
share of opportunities to get into the satellites. You may disagree with this
concept, but I would like to remind the readers the FCC mandates that minimum
power should be used to make at all times in to establish a contact.

During my trip and upon my return, I received countless emails and QSL cards
thanking me for activating a new country and a new grid. In the end, that was
the biggest satisfaction of the whole DXpedition giving out a new one!

73,

Adrian
AA5UK
ZF2AE & ZF2AE/ZF8