If I recall correctly from a post last week, the U/V pair is operating at
roughly 290 milliwatts RF out on transmit, and the L/U pair is at roughly 260
mW. In other words, each transmitter is operating on slightly more than SO-50
(250 mW) power levels.

I have had passes this week where the satellite was armchair copy on one pass,
and about like has been described this evening on another. I suspect the lower
power levels (half or less of what has been nominal for most of the past year)
and the inevitable mismatch (depending on the angle between the satellite and a
given ground station) of its circular-polarized antennas to many ground
stations' linear-polarized antennas are contributing to the reception
differences.

Drew (KO4MA) or Gould (WA4SXM) can comment - and I hope they will if this is
incorrect - but I suspect that AO-51 continues to operate as it has recently. I
appreciate very much their efforts to maintain the satellite. That being said,
it will definitely prove to be a challenge to work for many Field Day stations.

I hope I can get the one contact on it that I can count for the club FD effort
I'll be a part of. And I hope that other stations will make their one allowed
contact and give other stations the same chance to get theirs.

Best of Field Day luck and 73 to all,

Tim - N3TL