Hi All,

The title of this post paints an inaccurate picture
of this joint ESA/NASA mission.  Ulysses power
supply (RTG) is not producing enough power
anymore to run its instruments and heaters to
keep its propellant from freezing.  Ulysses was
due to be retired last year, but controllers devised
a clever method of firing its thrusters every 2 hours
to keep things warm.  The tanks are virtually empty
now.  Also its X-band transmitter failed leaving only
it S-band transmitter running at 512 bps.

Ulysses is currently 5 AU from earth with a 45 min.
1-way light time..to far away to act as an amateur
communication satellite in its decommissioned after
live, but it's an interesting mental exercise.

See the follow for more:

http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMWHF1P0WF_index_0.html