Hi Trevor,

I'm really keen on exploring just how realistic it is to place a "orbit
modifying" system on a 3U CubeSat or a satellite the size of AO51. A lot
is being presented to the CubeSat community about the possibilities of
using the lower cost launch to get to LEO and then "slowly" modify the
orbit to an elliptical MEO - using "safe" plasma or ion propulsion.

David Bowman, G0MRF, presented a great paper at the October AMSAT 2008
Symposium which went into details about how it might be done and a
survey of the propulsion options being worked on. Much of that paper's
background can be found on David's web site at:
> http://g0mrf.com/MEOSAT.htm
(Get a copy of the AMSAT 2008 Symposium papers for his updated presentation)

At the CaL Poly 2009 CubeSat workshop, the following two papers were
presented on the subject of satellite propulsion.

> http://mstl.atl.calpoly.edu/~bklofas/Presentations/DevelopersWorkshop2009/1_New_Tech_1/4_Scharlemann-Propulsion.pdf
> http://mstl.atl.calpoly.edu/~bklofas/Presentations/DevelopersWorkshop2009/1_New_Tech_1/6_Biddy-Monopropellant_Propulsion.pdf

Are there any AMSAT volunteers out there interested in the technical
challenge of creating a team to help turn these interesting ideas into
flyable hardware?? I'm sure that this could also turn into a great
commercial opportunity for you entrepreneurs out there.

I firmly believe it's an "obvious" technological direction to take, if
we are to "economically" move out of the LEO orbits. Again - anyone
interested in moving talk into action?

Regards...Bill - N6GHz
AMSAT Engineering Task Force