>> Related to Q2 & Q5 (compensation):
>> * As university staff, can I transmit to the CubeSat, or is my
>> salary considered compensation?
>>
>> * Is the refurbishment of a club ground station (man hours,
>> equipment repair/purchase) considered compensation?

These are very important questions.  I think it is also
important that we have a shared understanding of the answers,
rather than private opinions.

I suggest that the researcher also approach the ARRL for an
opinion.  My suspicion is that AMSAT and the ARRL will provide
conservative (and unofficial) answers to these questions.  It
is much safer to say "no, that's prohibited" than "yes".

In my view, this may be a question that we want to approach
the FCC with.  I suspect that, if the question is properly
framed, the FCC might be more inclined to find this acceptable
than either AMSAT or the ARRL.

-tjs