Jeff and everyone,

Randy is doing well. I emailed him recently while researching the feature on
Rob, KD4ZGW, that appears in the new issue of the AMSAT Journal, which has
already hit a few mailboxes. Randy is the first to have earned the Central
States VHF Society's Reverse VUCC Award on the satellites. Only one other
operator - Allen, N5AFV - also has the award on the satellites. Congratulations
to both of them. Those who know Randy may be interested in this update he
provided, when I asked if he ever gets on the satellites these days:

I do listen on my way to work and did get back on for a few days last month.  I
am going to help a school in Salt
Lake county with their ARISS contact which has not been given a date yet.
When they get a date I will on the
satellites a lot more to get back in practice.    They last few years I have
been active doing EME on 2 meters and I have 107 grids confirmed via the moon.

You can check out http://emeshack.com/ for my latest status.

It was fun to give out all of those grid squares.  Feel free to use the map at

http://www.xmission.com/~rkohlwey/images/fromgrid.gif

The map is current of August 3, 2006.  The dots are the locations I have worked
a satellite from.  The dots that are not in a shaded area I was not able to
complete a contact.  The grids with the grid square displayed are the ones that
I did not send out a QSL card for. No one requested one.

Part of my motivation for giving out so many grids was to get help on working
all of the grids in the 48 Continental
states.  I completed that on August 11, 2001. The blue dots on the following
map are confirmed QSOs on satellite.

http://www.uglyfrog.com/n7sfi/images/usagrid.gif

I completed a reverse WAS on September 12, 2008 but do not have QSL cards for
all the states.

Hope this helps,

Randy - WI7P

Moon VUCC! How cool is that?!