From: Patrick STODDARD (WD9EWK/VA7EWK) <amsat...@wd9ewk.net>
To: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:37:04 AM
Subject: [amsat-bb] satellite WAS #309

Hi!

After over 3 1/2 years working the satellites, getting on the
air for around 6000 satellite QSOs followed by requesting QSL
cards from stations across the USA, I was able to complete one
of my goals when I started on the satellites - work and confirm
QSOs with all 50 US states.  I had my applications and cards for
the satellite Worked All States award reviewed here in Phoenix
a couple of weeks ago, and the certificate arrived today.  :-)

Out here in the western part of North America, it is possible
to work all 50 states with the existing group of LEO satellites
we have.  In fact, it can be done with just the FM satellites
from out here if there are stations on from each of the states.
My application used QSL cards from contacts only on the 3 FM
satellites (AO-27, AO-51, SO-50).  There is no special
endorsement for doing that; the WAS certificate has "OSCAR"
to identify this as a satellite WAS, along with the serial
number for this version of the WAS (#309) and the date it was
issued (last Thursday, 6 August).  I wanted to use cards from
only the FM-satellite QSOs, as that was one of the two goals
I wanted to do when I started out in late 2005 (the other thing
was to get QSL cards from at least 100 grids, for the satellite
VUCC award).

I'll use many of the same cards toward the AMSAT Sexagesimal
award (confirming contacts with at least 60 US states/Canadian
provinces/DXCC countries), and then do the bigger task of
assembling a satellite VUCC application (I'm somewhere between
250 and 300 grids confirmed).  Or I can go back on the radio,
and leave that paperwork for some other time.  :-)  In any event,
thanks to all the stations over 3 1/2 years that got on the air
from the different states - and for sending those QSL cards to
confirm the contacts.

73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
http://www.wd9ewk.net/