From: Patrick STODDARD (WD9EWK/VA7EWK)
To: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Sent: Aug 10, 2009 10:37 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb]  satellite WAS #309

Hi!

 After over 3 1/2 years working the satellites, getting on the
 air for around 6000 satellite QSOs followed by requesting QSL
 cards from stations across the USA, I was able to complete one
 of my goals when I started on the satellites - work and confirm
 QSOs with all 50 US states.  I had my applications and cards for
 the satellite Worked All States award reviewed here in Phoenix
 a couple of weeks ago, and the certificate arrived today.  :-)

 Out here in the western part of North America, it is possible
 to work all 50 states with the existing group of LEO satellites
 we have.  In fact, it can be done with just the FM satellites
 from out here if there are stations on from each of the states.
 My application used QSL cards from contacts only on the 3 FM
 satellites (AO-27, AO-51, SO-50).  There is no special
 endorsement for doing that; the WAS certificate has "OSCAR"
 to identify this as a satellite WAS, along with the serial
 number for this version of the WAS (#309) and the date it was
 issued (last Thursday, 6 August).  I wanted to use cards from
 only the FM-satellite QSOs, as that was one of the two goals
 I wanted to do when I started out in late 2005 (the other thing
 was to get QSL cards from at least 100 grids, for the satellite
 VUCC award).

 I'll use many of the same cards toward the AMSAT Sexagesimal
 award (confirming contacts with at least 60 US states/Canadian
 provinces/DXCC countries), and then do the bigger task of
 assembling a satellite VUCC application (I'm somewhere between
 250 and 300 grids confirmed).  Or I can go back on the radio,
 and leave that paperwork for some other time.  :-)  In any event,
 thanks to all the stations over 3 1/2 years that got on the air
 from the different states - and for sending those QSL cards to
 confirm the contacts.

 73!

 Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
 http://www.wd9ewk.net/ <http://www.wd9ewk.net/>