The major problem with mfj products is that quality control is virtually
non-existent.  Hardware will be missing from one unit and then extra hardware
(probably that intended for the previous unit down the production line) will be
"rattling" around the next unit.  Some solder connections will be poorly done
and other connections have never even thought of having solder applied.  The
list of "problems" goes on.

I believe that mfj is VERY aware of these problems because in their warranty
they specifically state that repairs made by the owner will NOT violate the
warranty.

I always consider mfj products to be a "semi-kit".  That is a unit partially
assembled by the factory but definitely needing further attention by the person
who purchases the unit.

Over the years I have acquired a number of mfj products, almost always from
someone who purchased the unit expecting it to work "out of the box".  When the
unit does not work then that person often sells it or trades it.  I have bought
a few items "new" and every one of those items had to have something done to
make them work correctly except for one item that worked correctly from the
"get go".  That item was a 24 hour clock that was built "off shore" and an mfj
label added.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com