Da: Allen Fugelseth <al...@cruzio.com>
A: Stefano Simonetti <iw1...@yahoo.it>
Inviato: Lunedì 24 agosto 2009, 1:37:19
Oggetto: RE: [amsat-bb] lvb tracker circuit -- xtal?

I don't know. I had a problem with mine not working after I upgraded it. I had
an earlier revision and I wanted to upgrade it to the latest and greatest. I
sent the PIC and the revised hex file from G6LVB on his web page. to a friend.
My friend has the capability to program PICs. He reprogrammed it, but the
circuit wouldn't work. It wouldn't oscillate.  So I wrote to G6LVB describing
my problem and he sent back what I sent to you. In my case I had a working
unit, but I broke it with the new upgraded version hex code. G6LVB sent me the
additional code as I sent to you. My friend added the code and the PIC worked.
I think the main problem was that the oscillator input to the PIC wasn't set.
Apparently it must be done in the first four bits sent to the PIC. This gets
the PIC clock input receiving the clocking signal and the PIC runs. The PIC can
be configured to use an xtal, RC, and one or two other clock inputs. With the
xtal the PIC can be configured to
 provide an oscillator with the 4 MHZ xtal.

I could ask my friend what FPW=on is.  I am not any kind of an expert here. I
have learned all of this by talking with smart people. I had to go to G6LVB.
Don't be afraid to email him and inquire. He seems to be a friendly guy and
willing to help. I take it that your unit is new and hasn't worked yet.

My friend is Harold Hallikainen, WA6FDN. He is at Hallikainen.org. He is
another nice guy. He is one of my resources for knowledge of these things.

Harold programmed my PIC externally. Howard expected these to be programmed
with his software, but I don't remember why I originally didn't program it that
way. Maybe I couldn't get it to work for me. Harold priginally programmed my
PIC. I believe we also had the configure problem then also. I remember trying
diffrent xtals and maybe capacitors. The prblem turned out to be these first
four configuration bits.  If you take a look at the data sheet for the PIC I
think you will find something about these config bits.

I/m sorry that I could not have been more help here.

73,
Allen WB6RWU