Da: Howard Long <how...@howardlong.com>
A: Stefano Simonetti <iw1...@yahoo.it>; amsat-bb@amsat.org
Inviato: Lunedì 24 agosto 2009, 19:05:59
Oggetto: RE: [amsat-bb] Re: lvb tracker circuit -- xtal?

Hi Stefano.

Yes, as others have stated, you need a 4MHz crystal for the serial port bit
rate to be correct.

Please also use the latest .HEX file (0.9) located here:
http://www.g6lvb.com/Articles/LVBTracker/LVBTrack.hex

When programming, you should use the PICPROG.EXE v0.2 program
http://www.g6lvb.com/Articles/LVBTracker/PicProg.exe with the PIC in situ on
the board using a hardware (not USB virtual) serial port.

If, for some reason, you choose not to use PICPROG.EXE, you can use MPLAB
instead with a compatible programmer. Configure->Select Device as 16F876 or
16F876A device as appropriate, File->Import the hex file, and set
Configure->Configuration bits like this:

    // Default config bits...
    // Osc=XT, WDT off, PUT on, BOD off, LVP off, FPW on, DBG off, data
EE prot off, CodeProt off
    au16Data[0x2007]=0x3F31;

Check first with a 'scope that the crystal is oscillating. If it's not,
check the power on the chip. See if the reset button switches the the
oscillator off and on.

Also please check the 9 pin D type on the PCB itself is a socket, NOT a
plug! Even if you use a gender changer, it will not change the fact that if
you solder a plug and not a socket to the board, the pins 1,2,3,4,5 will end
up being 5,4,3,2,1 so your tracker will not work.

There is no echo from the LVB Tracker, emulating the exect function of a
real GS-232A. Hitting Enter (<CR> for us oldies) from a terminal emulator
should return a prompt though.

Regarding the LCD, do you get a top row of slightly dark blocks? Try
checking the contrast adjustment.

73, Howard G6LVB