From: amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org [mailto:amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org] On
Behalf Of Timothy J. Salo
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2009 4:41 PM
To: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Cc: b...@amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] BoD Elections

Hi,

I still haven't returned my ballot for the AMSAT Board of Directors
election, in part because I don't feel that I have really good information
on which to make a decision.
I would like to vote for a Board that will be effective and strengthen the
organization.  It is particularly important to select the best possible
board because, in my view, AMSAT is an organization in serious trouble.
But, I would prefer to base my vote on the recent accomplishments, recent
positions during board meetings, and explicit near-term objectives of the
candidates.  I would prefer to not simply use a blunt strategy of voting
against all incumbents and for all challengers. Unfortunately, I don't feel
that I really know much about the activities of the individual board
members.

To remedy this, I suggest that the close of the BoD elections be postponed
until at least thirty days after the following have been published:

o A list of all Board meetings held over the last year o Minutes from all of
these Board meetings o Minutes from all AMSAT committee meetings of the last
year

We can certainly have a discussion about the appropriate level of
transparency for the Board and its committees, and whether the Board is
meeting those objectives.  Here is what the D.C. statutes under which AMSAT
is incorporated have to say on the matter:

   Each corporation shall keep correct and complete books and
   records of account and shall keep minutes of the proceedings
   of its members, board of directors, and committees having any
   of the authority of the board of directors; ... All books and
   records of a corporation may be inspected by any member having
   voting rights, or his agent or attorney, for any proper purpose
   at any reasonable time.

-tjs