I heard this during the ARRL UHF contest back in August as well and found it
amusing.  They are correct, though, and not violating the bandplan as the AO7
uplink is in the weak signal part of the band-that is what happends when your
satellites lives for 35 years-band plans change

It would be nice if some of these stations discovered that their terrestial
equipment will work fine on the satellites, that is how I became an accidential
satellite op.

73s John AA5JG