Thanks all that answered.

Reason asking is  as many of you already know on Dish Network TV,  they
have this channel called Dish Earth,  Basically it's a nice color camera
looking back at the earth.  it's full screen in size  so  I guess about
a 20 degree field of view.

Part that is cool is to check it as the day goes by watching the phase
of the earth change as the sun changes position.

And now thatwe are getting close to equinox  the sun actually passes
behind the earth at about 2:30 AM.

I taped it last nigh to see what happens as it passes behind,  pretty
cool  looks almost like the last phases of a total solar eclipse with a
diamond ring effect etc.
And you can see just as it passes behind the gain on the camera opens
wide open and lits of i'm assuming digital noise appears. or if not
noise I'm thinking damaged pixles for they never change position.

But the bending of the sunlight is cool too the earth remains as a thin
line around the horizion,  way cool,  and amazing how stable the orbit
seems to be.  if there is any wobble due to an elliptical orbit  I can't
see it,  it must be extremely small.

Too bad we cant convince these geo bird people to share some of their
power,  imagine how wide of a linear transponder we could have for the
same power this one camera thats running 24/7 has to consume.  YIKES!

Joe WB9SBD