I went back in my copies of the AMSAT Newsletter (I have virtually all of them
starting with Volume I, Number 2, dated October 1969 - I joined AMSAT the 2nd
month of the organization's existence) and the only mention of a waiver was
that due to the control requirements that a waiver was requested for OSCAR I
through OSCAR VII.  Volume V, Number 1, March 1973, page 19, describes the
frequency selection for the OSCAR VII transponders and the mention is made that
the life expectancy was 3 years.  But, there was no mention of a waiver due to
the frequency selection.

Volume V, Number 4, December 1973, has a lengthy article on the capabilities of
OSCAR VII.  Again, no mention of a waiver because of the frequency selection.
On page 18 of that issue there is an announcement of Notice of Inquiry from the
FCC concerning rules for the newly proposed Amateur Radio Satellite Service.

Volume VI, Number 2, June 1974, has AMSAT's official response to the Notice of
Inquiry by the FCC starting on page 8.

Remember, before the establishment of the Amateur Radio Satellite Service there
was nothing in the FCC regulations concerning the frequencies even suggested,
let alone required.

These days 47 CFR Part 97 Section 97.207(c)(2) specifies, among other
frequencies, 144 MHz to 146 MHz and 435 MHz to 438 MHz as the allowed frequency
segments for satellite operation.  But, prior to either late 1974 or early 1975
there were no specified frequencies for satellite operation.  Of course the
frequency range of 144 MHz to 146 MHz definitely encompasses the "weak signal"
portion of the 2-meter band.  The 435 MHz to 438 MHz segment is well above the
present "weak signal" portion of the 70 cm band.

It is my opinion that the segment around 432.150 MHz was chosen because the
vast majority of operators that had 70 cm capabilities were operating very near
this segment and therefore no additional transmitting equipment would have to
be acquired.  Also, most 432 MHz operators also had 2-meter capabilities and
could easily "hear" the downlink.

Glen, K9STH
AMSAT 239 / LM 463

Website:  http://k9sth.com