So many satellite operators started on RS-10/11, myself included.  It was just
so workable.

Sunspots were on their way out (it was the end of the previous cycle), and my
Yaesu 767GX transceiver had a 2m module pushing a whole 10 watts into a
homemade copper pipe J-pole for an uplink.  A Radio Shack DX-440 shortwave
receiver, connected to a wire strung out to a tree in the back yard, made for a
makeshift downlink.  I worked stations across the entire continent with this
humble station.  My first contact (from Northern California) was to Arizona;
the second was to New York.  How could you not love a satellite like that?

Greg  KO6TH