Hi Rich,

Technically the coax is the same.  It's the same brand, Intercom, and model,
2482 RG-58C/U, coax.  Had about 13 feet or so rolled in a coil so I cut it
and made two pieces, one for 144 the other for 440.  BNC's on both ends.
The only difference now is the length is a little longer, by a couple feet,
for both instead of the single shorter piece supplied by Arrow.

There very well could be problems with the soldering connections on the
diplexer itself or the BNC connectors.  However, I'm not seeing anything
that indicates a short or open anywhere on the diplexer board or connectors.
However, it's still possible.  I don't have an Elk antenna, just the Arrow
so I'm not comparing or working with 2 different antennas.

As for additional variables, as I mentioned in the first post i was using a
TH-D7A(G) HT with the Arrow.  I've purchased a TM-D710 mobile rig and use it
for the sats.  The HT has a problem with the headphone jack, but the speaker
works fine so there's no problem with the receive audio.  My comparisons are
using both rigs, not on the same pass obviously, with the Arrow diplexer and
the Comet diplexer.  Even with the HT, there is a considerable difference in
what is copied compared to before.

You mention about the Elk's F/B ratio.  I've noticed the same thing on the
Arrow.  A while back, before the new diplexer, I contacted a local about 15
miles away, he was running about 2 watts and no matter which direction I
turned the beam, the signal strength never changed.  Hmmm.

I wholehearted agree with you that both antennas are very well assembled.
There has never been any questions about the quality of the material or
workmanship of either.  However, there is one thing that most people get
drawn into and that is the statement you made "both antennas work pretty
darn good."  Just about anything will "work" if it happens to be close
enough to its sweet spot.  What needs to be focused on is how efficiently is
it performing?  Let's get it in the sweet spot.  I would rather have any
object, including an antenna, to not only work, but work at its best
efficiency.  Let me make my point using a popular antenna in today's HF
communication.  This is the 43 vertical antenna.  Don't get me wrong, there
is absolutely nothing wrong with the 43 foot vertical.  The antenna performs
well on the lower bands, 40, 30, 20 and 17 meters.  80 meters requires a
above 17 meters.  Sure, you can make some contacts but the radiation pattern
is so poor you'd wonder how you ever made the contact.

Let me make another analogy pertaining to work and working efficiently.  I
had a Pontiac 1996 Grand Am with a 3.1 liter V-6 engine.  It put out 175
horsepower at 5200RPM with 195 F/P of torque.  I now have a 2008 Toyota RAV4
with a 3.5 liter V-6 engine that put's out 269 horsepower at 5200RPM with
248 F/P torque.  The kicker, the RAV4 weighs 800 pounds more and gets better
gas mileage than the Grand Am.  I know what everybody is thinking,  "geez,
there's 12 years difference between the two so the technology has changed so
there should be an improvement."  To a degree, your correct in thinking
that.  However, over that amount of time it was designed, tested,
redesigned, retested, to work efficiently, not just work.

73,

Jeff WB3JFS