ND9M/VQ9JC sent an email advising that he is deployed on a
Navy ship heading for Sumatra on a humanitarian mission with
fresh water for the victims of the recent earthquakes there.
His shipboard internet connection is not very good and he can
only use it sparingly.

Jim reports that he has been active with his FT897 (TX) and the
FT817 (RX) using an Arrow antenna and a UPS battery for power.
He operates from the Helicopter Pad on the ship.  He says that
there isn't much activity in the Indian Ocean but he is working
VU's and E21's and handing out rare water grids!  Sure wish we
had a satellite with a footprint that could reach him!

Jim has been active as VQ9JC on CW.  We had a 17m qso a few weeks
ago.  There were spots for him on 20 and 30m on 2 October.  He says
that the QSL cards are coming in by the bushel.

Jim is looking forward to returning to the States and activating more
grids here in the Spring.  You may recall his activity this
summer from many eastern US grids including all three grids in the
State of Delaware.  He also handed out many counties on HF for those
chasing them.  We wish him a safe journey and look forward to hearing
him on the birds.

73,
John K8YSE