Hi Gordon,

such a fuse would not prevent a battery from an internal short-cut in
one or more cells...  that's in fact what happened to AO-40.
Also you have to make such a "failsafe" feature really fail safe, so
that it does not hit you in the back if it fails..
These kind of things, like Watchdogs, always sound simple and easy, but
very often they are cause for more trouble.
We have seen satellites with Watchdogs going mad and resetting computers
while it was not necessary and do more harm than good.
Clearly, nobody expected that the battery would die so quickly,
otherwise some actions would have been done before...

73s Peter
DB2OS