I wrote:

> > In my view better engineering doctrine would imply that we try and
> > put the digital transponder ON ISS and let it "cook" there for a bit.

you replied
> Yup, that would be ideal, I'm nominating you to head that project. This
> is right up your alley, as since you and your friends within the JSC
> can navigate the political process easily. Lets run this in tandem with
> the ARISSSat project.
>
> Thanks for volunteering!
>
> --
> Ben Jackson - N1WBV - New Bedford, MA
> bbj <at> innismir.net - http://www.innismir.net/

one has to wonder Ben why didnt they try it?  There would have been a few more
issues involved in terms of operating the thing on ISS other then just
deploying it (mostly RF work)...

but...

as for me heading the project.  I'd deep six the entire software defined
transponder, put it on a development effort with some heavy program
guidance...find some people who wanted to build linear transponders even if
they were overseas (such people exist already) and start flying as many of
those as possible.

Right now what in my view the satellite community needs is a 100 percent Oscar
7 or 10...not some technological development issues.

If I were king we would have something to offer the USAF if they had spare lift
on a Centaur as they just had...remember the original Oscar's flew on USAF
vehicles.

in the meantime I will continue to keep my technical skills sharp (grin) by
helping the 10 year olds put together a buoy that is going to float in Clear
Lake...

Robert WB5MZO