From: Michael Tondee <mat...@netcommander.com>
To: Amsat BB <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 24, 2009 6:44:23 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] A small step back into things

Those of you who have seen my post to this forum in the past know that
I've unfortunately had to sell some of my gear on and off to make ends
meet. I went from a TS-2000X to an IC-820 to no satellite stuff at all.
Just recently I had to part with my HF rig as well.
I was determined though that I wasn't going to give up and an FM LEO
capable station seemed feasible and better than not having anything at
all so I have started pursuing it.
I just got my Yaesu VX-3R HT from the UPS man Friday, it is primarily to
be my receive radio as I already have another 2 meter radio.
I have felt like a kid who couldn't play with his new toy though
because my adapter to be able to hook up an external antenna to the SMA
connector on the HT was back ordered. We have a few repeaters here but
I'm out in the sticks and the rubber ducks on these little rigs are
notoriously dreadful.
Anyway finally decided to step outside the house tonight about the 1800
UTC pass of AO-51 and see if I could hear anything but noise.
Amazingly enough, even with just the stock rubber duck, I could hear
stations. Everything was down in the noise and not really discernible
enough to copy but I could tell people were there.
I don't think I really needed much more antenna and I probably would
have had decent copy.
It was only a small step and there is much work to do but it did make me
feel as if I had actually moved forward on getting back on the birds.
Just wanted to share,
73,
Michael, W4HIJ