JoAnne Maenpaa, K9JKM, wrote:

>I guess you're observing that AMSAT's GEO proposal has to fit into the GEO
satellite commodity market.

Should Amsat be working with NetHope to design a better terminal? How do we
work with these guys to convince them that they should be using a ham
satellite instead of a commercial service? One big advantage of the commercial
service is that it exists now. How do we get the money from funding agencies,
either government, corporate, or non-profit? Where does Amsat fit in to this
world? Have they even heard of us, our history and our capabilities?

>I've maintained that a GEO satellite is best suited to link widely deployed
sectors of the Incident Command System.

I think most government-based emergency authorities are not going to be
interested in building or funding a system that they do not design and
control. They consider amateur radio to be a last-ditch thing that they would
rather not count on, they would rather have an in-house system that fits in to
their chain of command and shows their funding authorities that they are fully
on top of emergency communications and don't need to rely on amateur
volunteers coming forward in time of need. A non-governmental organization
like NetHope might be more receptive to our proposals. We need to think hard
and come up with new ideas.

Dan Schultz N8FGV