Hi Michael,

I followed instructions from Howard Long, G6LVB, posted here a few
years ago.  (If the archives go back far enough, it was in November of
2001).  I don't have it electronically, but the instructions went
something like this:

Get a long piece of thick bare copper wire (#10 is what I think I used), and
put a small mark on it every 5 3/4 inches (146mm).  Sharpie marker works well.
Wrap it around a
cardboard tube that's about 1 3/4 inches in diameter.  The tube from a roll of
paper towels works fine; the dimension is not critical.  Space the turns about
1 1/4 inches (32mm) apart.

Now, here's the magic part:  once you get the helix about right, sight down one
edge, and you'll see those 146mm marks you made in the first step.  Twist and
stretch the coils so that they all line up, AND at the same time, keep the
turns spaced (center to center) 32mm apart.  Take your time.  The diameter of
the turns will take care of itself.

For the first 1/4 turn (the matching section), decrease the pitch so that it
gently slopes away from the reflector, which needs to be something around 4 or
so inches in diameter.  The rest of the mechanical stuff you can pretty much
make up yourself.  There are a lot of examples if you browse around the web a
bit.

Helix antennas are pretty forgiving in construction, and really cheap to make.

Greg  KO6TH

p.s.  If you already have a Wi-Fi antenna, it should work too.  Conversely,
I've found that a Helix easily outperforms those "Pringles can" Wi-Fi antennas
that were popular a few years ago, in a Wi-Fi application.