Hi Glenn!

Nice to work you on that last SO-67 pass this morning.  It was an
easier pass to get into from DM33xp/DM43ap here in Phoenix
(maximum elevation 40 degrees) compared to the earlier pass
(maximum elevation 8 degrees).

I posted my two MP3 recordings from this morning, along with the
MP3s from the two SO-67 passes I was on last weekend, at:

http://so67.wd9ewk.net/

The URL was just set up, so it may not respond for a few hours until
the DNS change propagates.  I also posted PDFs with the passes at
those times there, so you can see how things looked from here in
Phoenix.

Following the advice about reducing mic gain and narrow FM helps in
getting through.  On the second SO-67 pass this morning, I went one
step further - I held my mic about 8 inches/20cm below my mouth
while transmitting.  Doing that, and following the other hints, allowed
me to have a transmission of more than 2 or 3 seconds get through
SO-67 without dropping out.  I have been using an IC-2820H with an
Elk Antennas handheld 2m/70cm log periodic when I have worked
SO-67.

It would be interesting to see how this satellite worked with no PL
required on the uplink, since it is only being activated for 13 or 15
minutes at a time.  The PL doesn't appear to be needed as a tool
for power conservation, as on SO-50.  Does anyone know if it is
even possible for the SO-67 transponder to operate without that
PL?

73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
http://www.wd9ewk.net/