Alex,

A good post.  We are indeed adapting to the Brave New World of ITAR, and we
are not alone in that.  At a recent SmallSat meeting I attended, there was
even a tutorial for companies large and small, large being the size of
Boeing.  It was about how to work with and around ITAR if you are involved
with the Operationally Responsive Space initiative.  Doable it is, but easy
it isn't.  Even at the university level, the consequences of not doing it
right can be considerable.  An emeritus professor associated with a major
state university in Tennessee was just sentenced to several months in jail
for not following the rules with his consulting company and personnel.

While some of us feel like pounding our heads against the wall in
frustration, few if any are crying in their beer about ITAR at the level
where things actually get done.  However, it has taken a longer time than
any would have wished to determine exactly what paths are going to be open.
Some past paths are definitely(?) closed, and others are being opened.
Still, all of us are going to need to understand how those paths can be
worked efficiently and productively.  The IBM and SUNY-Binghamton are just
the beginning of that process.

Alan
WA4SCA