I tried working AO-51 the last couple of days on !.2Ghz, but no luck. I
thought I heard myself a couple of times but sure. There was more
activity than I expected to hear and I noticed that although the
transponder signal was good as usual, the signals coming through were
lower from those I have heard using the UHF uplink when on. I was using
the usual 435.300 downlink as I do not have my stuff for 2.3Ghz put
together yet.

My attempts to work AO-51 was an experiment which I really didn't expect
to work as I have about 50 feet of 9913 which is actually in three
sections to allow it to reach the rig (IC-910) with each section being
spliced with a "N" barrel connector. Each of those induces a fair amount
of lose, especially at 1.2ghz. Next, I had that running to a general
purpose MFJ discone that runs from 50mhz - 1.3Ghz. So as I figure it, I
probably had about .5 watts ERP to AO-51 at best, hi!

I plan on building a reasonable 1.2Ghz, maybe the loop one shown in the
books as they appear to work well. I may look at getting or making a 100
watt (2C39) amplifier. However, I did hear a couple of portables on the
pass, so I suspect a reasonable antenna will work wonders. Not sure but
I do not think the sat antennas will not do much good without
considerable modifications. By the time you do that you might as well
make one from scratch. They're not that difficult to make. Since I'm new
to the 1.2Ghz operation, you might want to solicit from others that have
more to contribute than I do.

Reid, W4UPD