On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 6:23 PM, w4upd <upd...@bristor-assoc.com> wrote:
> GO to the following FTP location at my site. I think you'll find what
> you need there. If not let me know and I'll look to see if I have other
> info related to the Trakbox.
>
>          ftp://bristor-assoc.com/pub/Amateur/TrakBox/
>
> Reid, W4UPD
>

> William Leijenaar wrote:
>> Hi AMSATs,
>>
>> For some longer time I have been looking for a way to get a stand-alone
>> real-time satellite tracking system, without the use of a dual-core, GHz
>> speed power consuming computer :o) To my suprise I didn't found much, only
>> one design called trakbox which can be found E.g at the following tapr
>> website:
>> http://www.tapr.org/kits_trakbox.html
>>
>> Unfortunatly it is not available anymore, and the mean reason I guess is the
>> outdated components.
>> I found out that the design originates from JAMSAT. Maybe someone has data
>> (schematic, PCB layout, source code) of this design ?
>>
>> I wonder with todays highly integrated microcontrollers if there is some
>> modern kind of real-time-tracker available ?
>> I am looking for a system that works just seconds after switching on the
>> power supply and not something that first has to boat 15min and needs a
>> mouse to work.

William --

It depends what you mean by tracker, since the word is a bit widely
used in English. It could mean 1) a device that, in response to az/el
values submitted on a serial line, controls antenna rotors to track a
satellite, or 2) a device that calculates those az/el values (as well
as downlink and uplink frequencies, e.g.), or 3) something that does
both of these tasks.

There are many commercial and one-off instances of #1. Trackbox above
is an instance of #3, though I don't believe it is still being kitted.
The LVBtracker is best known as an instance of #1 above, but in fact
the latest version is an example of #3 above. It is available from
AMSAT-UK as a kit, and from AMSAT-NA as a completed product.

If you'd like to explore an extremely low-power and small footprint
device that will do #2 above, you might want to consider the
qrpTracker libraries and applications I've written and ported for the
Arduino platform, available at http://code.google.com/p/qrptracker/
with a website at http://sites.google.com/site/qrptracker/ I think
hobbiests might find this easy to work with because the various
building blocks -- like Plan 13 tracking code, TLE-storage and -access
routines and rig-control activies -- have been packaged into C++
classes. Moreover, the Arduino hardware is ubiquitous, standard and
relatively cheap.

My youtube video demoing how this code and hardware could be used
onboard a satellite to save power made the rounds a couple of weeks
ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSUK7Jq3LCY

In a day or so I hope to post a video of the same device
doppler-tuning my FT-817. The long-term terrestrial goal is to provide
a satellite-selecting and doppler tuning 'dongle' for this and the
TH-D7A.

73, Bruce
http://ve9qrp.blogspot.com