Do you have a 70 cm source of any type that you can use downrange to
prove that the system is working?  That is,  all together as a complete
system.  If you can drive the source away until it is demonstrably
weakening,  then you can test the beam pattern, etc.  If the preamp
front end is hooked to a dummy load (non functioning antenna system in
front of it),  then the noise from the dummy load will increase.  You
need an external source.

Bob

--
(Co)Author: DttSP, Quiktrak, PowerSDR, GnuRadio
NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.