From: amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org [mailto:amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org] On
Behalf Of Michael Tondee
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2009 6:06 PM
To: AMSAT-BB@amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] "Frustration" Solved!

Well, just got through listening to a pass of AO-51. As several have
suggested, it was a pointing issue with the antenna.
I can't believe my memory has gotten to the point where I couldn't
remember where North was the last time I had the antennas up.
 Thing is, I actually took a compass reading the other day and
compensated for declination but I must have  misread something
somewhere. I was only about 20 degrees off! Declination here is only 4
degrees so it couldn't have been that. That's what I get for working on
stuff at dusk I guess. I'm slightly embarrassed!
  BTW, I didn't mean to make anyone think that an 11 element yagi was
too narrow for LEO's. It's fine if you point the dang thing right!
Also, the reason why I went this route with the more complex antenna and
AZ/EL system is that I already had the stuff on hand from my last foray
into satellites. Only the preamp was new and I knew that everything had
worked before. I can certainly appreciate the suggestions on
simplification and I was about to do just that if I didn't have any
success today.
 Now I just have to work out some of my cable issues and get something
going for transmit. My 2 meter "cheap yagi" has seen better days. Once I
get that, I'll raise the mast and get the antennas up to their normal
height.
 I'm just using HT's right now but I hope to have a new TS-2000X
sometime after the first of the year. I've been quite interested in the
TS-2000 vs. IC910H thread. I know that Icom has discontinued the 910
because of the 9100 but I was under the impression that Kenwood would
release a new rig at Dayton this year and wonder if that will mean the
demise of the TS-2000.
 Thanks everyone for the suggestions and also allowing me to "vent" a
bit last night.I was getting pretty frustrated.
73,
Michael, W4HIJ