OSCAR VI used the metal from a pocket tape measure for the 10-meter antenna.
This was folded and was held in this position until the release was activated
from the ground.  When released, the antenna "deployed", sticking straight out
from two sides of the satellite.  The QSL cards for receiving OSCAR VI even had
the "inches" scale showing on the satellite graphics.  This use of "common"
items was definitely mentioned in the articles about the satellite.

A tape measure is designed to hold straight until "reeled" in and this worked
beautifully for the satellite.  Not only was it functional, it was VERY
inexpensive.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com