On 23 Jan 2010 at 23:08, Mike wrote:

Date sent:              Sat, 23 Jan 2010 23:08:25 -0500
From:                   Mike <sar...@bellsouth.net>
Subject:                [amsat-bb] Re: RF Adaptors
To:                     amsat-bb@amsat.org

> http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m38.l1313&_nkw=so-239+to+n&_sa
> cat=See-All-Categories
>
> Take your pick :)

Many of theses adaptor are not made to withstand pressure/push pull twisting
from the coaxial cable. I used a lot of them and found the
barrel was dismantling from the connector body (Cheap workmanship). They also
break if you put too much pressure with pliers when you
tighten them.

The coaxial cable should be attached firmly at least at 7 inches before the
connection point and making them in the middle of 2 coaxial
free floating run of cable is not also a good idea. PL otr N type female to
female adaptor are more stronger for that use.

I find some in the used boxes at some hamfest that are made in steel instead of
aluminium, you can see they are made stronger as they
weight more. Those resist more than the usual cheap one.

"-"

Luc Leblanc VE2DWE
Skype VE2DWE
www.qsl.net/ve2dwe