Hi Mike,

You probably should specify which type of packet you are interested in
working; an answer to your question depends on that.

For 1200 baud packet, you can use just about anything, including some
software solutions (MixW, for example).  Or, one of many MFJ TNCs you
find at hamsfest or on eBay.

For 9600 baud packet, you'll need to be more careful in your search.
 For 38k4, you need to be even MORE selective, as there aren't many.

If you want a TNC that does all three--1200, 9600, and 38k4-- you
might consider a KPC-9612+  TNC.   Never owned one myself, so I can't
comment.

For 9600 and 38k4, my personal choice is the Paccomm Spirit-2 satellite model.

I've never owned or operated the FT-847, so I can't comment on that
part of your question, either.  But one thing's for sure--38k4 packet
requires modification of any radio currently in (or out!) of
production (well, except for the Icom PCR-1500/2500).

73,

Mark N8MH

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Sean Cavanaugh <se...@unixgeeks.ca> wrote:
> On 02/02/2010 11:12 AM, Michael Wolthuis wrote:
>> Can anyone point me to the recommended TNC for adding to an FT-847 for
>> digital satellite work?  Are there special modifications needed?  What
>> connector does it use on the FT-847?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike
>> kb8zgl
>
> I can't speak to any specific "recommended TNC", but I've been using my
> old PacComm Tiny-2 MK2 for years. It uses a 5-pin DIN (think ancient
> AT-style keyboard connector) and I connected it the packet port on my
> FT-847 (6-pin mini-din, like the slightly newer PS/2 keyboards) and have
> copied the ISS using this. The connections were fairly trivial to make
> following the manuals for the radio and TNC.
>
> Years ago I used the same TNC with my old radio shack HTX-242 to post
> messages to the BBS on the Mir.
>
> With a different TNC, I could also do 9600, but I don't have that
> capability at the moment. I'd think most any TNC should work.
>
> --
> Sean - VA5LF

Mark L. Hammond [N8MH]