I don't have experience with 3rd party controllers but the position
reporting is fundamentally different. Instead of potentiometers
indicating the present az/el, there are just pulses indicating when the
motors have traveled a degree.

So a little more work is associated with keeping track of the heading,
and I haven't heard of a compatible 3rd party controller, but I don't
foresee modifying one to do so as particularly challenging.