At 11:00 AM 2/20/2010, Mark L. Hammond wrote:
>Anybody know for sure if an Elk antenna is an acceptable carry on
>luggage item?  Disassembled, and rolled up in a bag, for example.
>
>Or am I going to have to check it in?
>
>73,
>
>Mark L. Hammond  [N8MH]

You have gotten several answers, already.  The rule is one bag that
will fit in overhead or under seat plus a personal carryon.  I would
guess your Elk is probably too long to qualify for fitting in the
overhead.  Check it inside a hard tube or box.

I have flown with ham gear several times since 9-11 (one, two
times/year) and never had any notice by TSA agents in Anchorage,
Seattle, Minneapolis, Detroit, Cincinatti, Atlanta, Dallas-FW,
Ontario-CA, and maybe others.  I have taken a FT-817, keypad mic, 45w
linear, mag-mt whip, DC cord for cigarette lighter, coax cables in my
carryon suitcase with my clothes.

MY wife got the royal full open your suitcase turn your pockets
insideout because she forgot about her small pen size jackknife on
her key ring.

I have not tried taking my Arrow since 9-11.  I use to carry it on in
a 2 x 25 inch pvc tube with caps.  I suspect they figured it to be my
fishing pole.

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45
  BP40IQ   500 KHz - 10-GHz   www.kl7uw.com
500-KHz/CW, 144-MHz EME, 1296-MHz EME