At 08:02 AM 3/7/2010, Bob- W7LRD wrote:
>Hi Joel and all -This is a timely question for
>me.  Yesterday I organized and ran (with the
>help of Wayne-W9AE) a AMSAT table at a local
>hamfest.  I had the opportunity to meet many
>local hams both satellite ops and the
>curious.  I extolled the virtues of AMSAT and
>the satellite community in general.  A few
>points I noticed as an undercurrent in some of
>the conversations.  We hams are generally a
>frugal bunch and in some cases just plain
>cheap.  I had several antennas on display as
>well as several pictures, one was of an
>astronaut on a EVA installing one of our
>antennas on the outside of the space
>station.  Some of the questions went like this,
>one guy asked, "do you have to belong to AMSAT
>to operate satellites?", can I get this software
>(Satpc32) free on line?" "are these books
>available any where else?"Â  My response to
>these and similar queries was, "see this
>picture?" what do you think the shipping cost
>is?"Â  "What we do, is rocket science, and
>rocket science is not cheap".   How many
>active satellite operators do  not belong to
>AMSAT?  How many use pirated tracking
>programs.  How many do not contribute
>"something" to AMSAT.  Maybe some aspect of of
>AMSAT ticks you off, so you cut the cord.  I'm
>sure some part of the government ticks you off,
>you don't move to Canada.  In order for AMSAT
>and our efforts to succeed it takes money, and
>yes probably lots of it.  This event was a
>learning process for me and in the future I hope
>to hone my abilities and create more dues
>paying and contributing members.  Finally-
>"this is rocket science and rocket science is
>not cheap. 73 Bob W7LRD Washington State AMSAT
>area coordinator ----- Original Message -----
>From: "Joel Black" <jbblac...@gmail.com> To:
>"AMSAT" <amsat-bb@amsat.org> Sent: Sunday, March
>7, 2010 6:40:33 AM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
>Subject: [amsat-bb] Â Membership Benefits
>AMSAT-BB, I realize what I'm going to get by
>asking this... Â If you were giving a
>presentation to amateur radio operators who know
>little or nothing of AMSAT, what would you list
>as some of the benefits of being a member of
>AMSAT? Â What would be the single most important
>reason? 73, Joel, W4JBB

Re: being a member of Amsat:
That is the "minimum" we can support amateur
satellites with.  I am proud of my low Amsat
membership# as that shows I have been a
long-standing member.  If I could afford more I
would become a life-member, but in my retirement
we will manage to come up with our annual
dues.  "Cheap"?  I know, considering the cost of "rocket science"!

I have been a field-op since about 1998.  I have
handed the torch off (sponsored) to four others
in Alaska to become field-ops (they do a superb
job).  I now try to support with technical advice, if I can.

I have fond memories of the early years in ham
satellites (AO-6).  Looking forward to more with
Amsat in the future.  My hat is off the
volunteers that make it all possible (and to the members that support them).

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45
  BP40IQ   500 KHz - 10-GHz   www.kl7uw.com
500-KHz/CW, 144-MHz EME, 1296-MHz EME
DUBUS Magazine USA Rep dubus...@hotmail.com