Hello Bob,

Does the preamplifier have a internal gain control ?

If it does, back it off at ~ 6 S units.

Excess gain only reduces the system dynamic range.

The real test is with a SINAD meter or a NF meter, injecting a test
signal up at the preamplifier input,
and reducing gain until NF or SINAD sensitivity is just barely degraded.
That will be the point of best S/N, (best sensitivity).

Most of the S7 reading you have is just noise, not signal.

The preamplifier could be defective and performance is out of spec.
Whatever that spec is, I do not recall ever seeing a ICOM AG-25/35
performance spec.

If the preamplifier is a multi stage unit, the first stage which sets
the system noise figure
could be defective/soft and the second stage just amplifies the noise
ahead of it.

Most convincing would be a NF test with professional meter.

Send it to me and I will test for free. I will NOT repair. I will NOT
open it.
Include return postage if you want it returned (HI).

I will provide you a plot of the NF and gain performance using
a HP-8970B Noise Figure Meter and HP-346C Noise source.

Of course, this offer is open to any other AMSAT member.
E-mail me for details.

What do you say ?

Stan, W1LE    Cape Cod     FN41sr