I have been doing some reading on this also.  Although I have not yet made
any EME contacts, I have been uncovered the following:

1. Moonrise/moonset will enhance signals because of ground reflections,
something like 6 dB.  Many folks intentionally use moonrise and moonset
attempts for this reason.

2. Mast mounted pre-amp is essential

3. Higher frequencies need more gain (so I have been told).  But the 440 MHz
part of the arrow antenna should have a LOT more gain than the 2 meter part.

4. Low loss coax is very important, esp at VHF.  Keep the runs short and use
something equiv to LMR 400 (50 foot of the good stuff is probably under
$100, and worth it.

5. Definitely try to set up a sked with W5UN.  If you can hear him, then you
are halfway there!

6. Monitor websites like http://www.chris.org/cgi-bin/jt65emeA

7. 2010 appears to be a promising year for EME, here is a good calendar:
http://www.vhfdx.net/w5luu.html

Mark Lunday
WD4ELG
Greensboro, NC - FM06be