From: Adrian Engele <aa...@yahoo.com>
To: amsat...@wd9ewk.net; amsat-bb@amsat.org
Sent: Sun, April 4, 2010 1:09:22 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: AO-07 pass

Folks,  It was a worth a short on todays' 15:38 UTC AO7 Pass but no Joy!

Unfortunately we have had heavy winds in excess of 30 to 40 mph gusting to
50mph. The static levels on 2m receive are very high and I could barely hear a
few voices on the satellite. The only station I could barely make out was
KC7MG. I was looking for K8YSE, WD9EWK and several others, but  I just could
not hear my own downlink. Strange because the day before I had  pass all to
myself over the Pacific and I had all the SatPC setting correct and ready to go
for this pass.  I could hear myself perfectly.

I also was pointing my antenna straight at a big rain cloud in the path of the
satellite and I am sure that did not help matters with the signal or the QRN on
2m.

Sorry it was worth the try but tropical conditions are causing some interesting
attenuation and noise on AO7 and  VU52 downlinks. FO-29  and HO68 on the other
work like a charm I can work those with 5 W and my Elk antenna with no trouble.
One could probably turn down the power even more and get into those satellites
without any difficulty.

Diving got canceled due to bad weather. I will take a look what I can still
work this afternoon. I will be out of dinner which means I can't make the FO-29
passes at 03:26 or 05:07 UTC. Sorry. Last day here and I need to take out my
significant other to keep her happy.

Aloha from windy Kauai.

73, Adrian AA5UK/KH6