From: Stephen Melachrinos <melac...@verizon.net>
To: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Sent: Wednesday, 14 April, 2010 0:22:34
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: Space Debris:

Greg -

I didn't see anyone else reply, so I'll try.

No, it's not coincidence. After the Iridium collision last year, the US Air
Force decided it was in everyone's best interest for them to run conjunction
analyses against many more space objects than they had previously analyzed, and
report their predictions to system owners. Previously, their concern was
primarily the US government's spacecraft, so we (in the amateur community) and
many commercial operators never knew what was happening to our birds unless we
did (or paid for) the work ourselves. But the collision (as well as the Chinese
ASAT demonstration) showed that the resulting debris fields were a major hazard
to everyone, themselves included. So they must have allocated more resources to
the problem, as this is a massive undertaking. (Note that some reports say that
the US has about 20,000 objects that are tracked and cataloged. In theory, this
means propagating the ephemeris of all of these for some number of days and
comparing all possible
 combinations across the ti!
me period of the analysis.)

Unfortunately, many (if not most) of the objects no longer have maneuvering
capability. If a vehicle can maneuver, these warnings give them time to try and
increase the separation prior to the predicted close approach. (You might have
heard of some times when a space shuttle does one of these maneuvers.) But if
you can't maneuver (as is the case with AO-51), all we can do is watch and wait.

Steve
W3HF