At 12:07 PM 5/11/2010, i8cvs wrote:
> [...]

Good point!  I guess if we had software that could provide a position
slightly in advance of the satellite so the tracking could be a
series of short drifts thru the beam of the antennas...that would be
ideal.  Also much more complicated since the lead time/angle would
vary by satellite pass, and ground station antenna
parameters.  Tracking Leo satellites on s-band with a two-foot dish
can be demanding considering the narrow beamwidth.  Fortunately, one
does not need that much gain for Leos.

When I track the Moon, manually, this is what I do.  But the Moon
apparent motion in the sky is about 15-degrees/hour in azimuth so
with 16-degree 2m antennas it only requires repointing 2-3 times per
hour.  At 1296 my eme antenna beamwidth is 3-degrees so keeping
peaked within 1-dB requires much more frequent movement (10 or more
times/hour).  Fortunately, most auto-track sw has input for how often
to command the rotators.

My 16-foot dish actuators rotate the dish fairly slow (90-deg/5-min),
so it takes some time for repointing.  I can resolve 0.1 degree movement.

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45
BP40IQ   500 KHz - 10-GHz   www.kl7uw.com
EME: 144-600w, 432-100w, 1296-60w, 3400-fall 2010
DUBUS Magazine USA Rep dubus...@hotmail.com