Hi Reid and those interested-

-Getting into L & S can be as simple or as complicated   as one tries to make
it.  Many of us are using modified MMDS downconverters
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS379US379&q=mmds
  for what means.

The downconverter takes the 2.4ghz downlink and "usually" converts it to the 2M
band.  However usually for a 2M output the crystal and some minor filter
modification is required.  Generally if used without modification the output is
around 123mhz.  A downconverter can be had for as much as about $500 for the
UEK-3000 or a Keps for about $225 or a surplus MMDS unit can be   found on Ebay
for as little as $5 (caveat emptor).  For AO-51 in mode S (downlink) reception
has been reported with a simple patch antenna connected directly to the DC.  Or
a simple 5 turn (left hand ci rcular polarization) in front of a 18 inch TV
type dish will work well.  Or a longer (10 turn +) RHCP helix can work.  Again
the DC is connected directly to the antenna/feed to reduce losses.  Usually
power for the DC is feed up the coax (RG6) to the DC from a bais tee(power
inserter).  A larger dish could be the 36"X30" primestar, from that now defunct
direct TV system.  They are usually free, just watch roof lines around your
neighborhood.  The bigger the dish the higher the gain and the necessity for
accurate pointing.  I use a Transystem 3731AA (MMDS) downconverter/5 turn helix
feed/Primestar dish which is connected to an old TS-700A transceiver with Tx
disabled to avoid that maj or ooops of  accidently transmitting into the DC.
For 1.2ghz (L band) uplink will usually cost some coin! Many "satellite"
radios, like the IC-910, FT-736 etc. and several others can be had and adding
the optional 1.2ghz module.  Again not too cheap.  Or a transverter.  If in
your area there is local L band terrestial activity, it can be quite interesti
ng.  L band antennas can be loopers, yagi's or a helix.  I can get into AO51
quite well with 10W from an IC-910 to a 16 turn helix.  I have some pictures
available which can answer many questions.  Good luck with your efforts.  There
are ma ny on this bb that have been doing this for a long time, and are wealth
of information.

73 Bob W7LRD

Seattle