Hi Alan,

Your comments suggest that I'm the one in Bizarro World.

Regarding the One True Rule - I operate under the impression (which, I thought,
has been backed by science) that regardless of the frequency pair, Doppler
always will have a more pronounced effect (in relative terms, of course, based
on the frequencies being used) on the higher of the two. In a perfect world,
ever operator will be tuning for Doppler the same way. reality, of course, is
that some people either can't use computer-aided Doppler tuning (my situation
for the first several months that I worked the linear satellites) or they
choose not to - as I still often do. And when I do, I will continue to
compensate - most - for the frequency being most affected by Doppler, which is
the higher frequency.

Regarding mid-pass - My experience suggests that, while your statement about
mid-pass Doppler shift is accurate, it does not take into account that mid-pass
occurs for only a moment in time during any orbit. My experience has been that
the lower a satellite's orbit, the more significant Doppler movement will be.
VO-52 is the prime example, in my opinion. And here, for me, the time just
before and just after (say, 20-30 seconds on each side) mid-pass is when
Doppler affects the uplink frequency the most. The computer and software I use
often have not been able to adjust my radio's frequency as quickly as they need
to in order to compensate for Doppler. Others may not have that problem with
their computer-tuning system, but I believe the more-rapid Doppler effect is
consistent for VO-52 regardless of how one is tuning. I'm confident (and,
actually hope) that others will correct me if I'm wrong about the relative
speed of Doppler correlating to the relative
 height of a satellite's orbit.

Regarding pride associated with the decision to not use current technology -
Any measure of pride I take from knowing how to routinely tune for Doppler
manually comes from the knowledge that circumstances and situations may arise
when I will be asked to communicate effectively through the satellites without
access to everything associated with current technology. My station is founded
in that concept. I don't have an all-mode, full-duplex radio. I use two radios
with a diplexer connecting them to one antenna. I don't have an az/el rotator;
well, actually I do. It has three parts - shoulder, elbow and wrist. I don't
have two very large, high-gain antennas. The only satellite antenna I own and
use (other than some whips for the HTs) is the Elk dual-band log periodic. All
of that being said, I am proud to say that I can use the gear I have to work
any of the current fleet of single-channel-FM and linear-transponder satellites
from anywhere - even without
 access to a computer or even to power. In that regard, Patrick - WD9EWK - has
been an inspiration and mentor. His station is similar to mine.

I can't comment on your last two statements (about SSB vs. FM satellites and
how to appropriate use a Yaesu FT-736r) because I didn't comment initially on
either one. Personally, I find the FM satellites easier to work than the birds
with linear transponders - but the latter are easier to make contacts on
because they never attract nearly the number of operators on a single pass as
the FM satellites. NONE of them are as difficult to work as I believed. They
represent the most fun and satisfying operation I've ever done in amateur radio.

73 to all ... from the EM84 chunk of Bizarro World....

Tim - N3TL