Hello all, I'm new to the boards here and was browsing through and saw a post a
few weeks ago about using an Alt az Telescope mount as an antenna rotor.

I didn't see a response so I'll add my .0661 Malaysan Ringgits based on my
experience as an Amateur Astronomer.

First I have to presume that the OP already has the mount in question as a
purpose made rotor could be had for a lot less money.

First I'd think wind load on a typical antenna wouldn't be that much, but I
would mount the antenna with it's center of gravity as close as possible to the
elevation axis.  Since a telescope would be mounted with its CG ON the
Elevation axis, you'd want to keep the  Antennas CG as close as possible to
minimize and torque loads on the gears.  I'd also use a sturdy dovetail mount,
though that being said it looks like the mount in question is more than capable
of handling the weight.

Also make sure that the antenna will clear all aprt of the mount though it's
entire range travel.

As for tracking, I'm not sure if it will track fast enough. I couldn't find any
specs in that regard.  I know the Meade Autostar can accept Keplarian elements
and track sats. Quite frankly it looks like a pain to upload them and I've
never tried it, though I've been tempted.

Since I've gotten interested in working the birds (Still have yet to make a
QSO, Building an antenna and amassing the needed equipment), I've been looking
at my Orion EQ1 German mount as a possible rotor.  It's a basic Mount and I've
figured if I mount the antenna with the beam paralell to the Dec shaft, alI
have to do is set the lattitude comlimentary to the Max elevation (90 Deg - Max
El) and point the RA shaft opposite the Max Elevation Azimuth, it will track
the path of the sat.  It won't track using the Clock drive, but I should be
able to keep up using the slow motion controls. That being said, substututing a
faster motor shouldn't be too difficult for a later project.

Hope this helps.

Now if someone could show me how to reply to  thread on the archives......

73

Rick
K7TEJ DM33vq